Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Political Yin-Yang


Today my roommate completed his first step of decorating his side of our room, grabbing pictures from a Ronald Reagan ranch calendar and plastering them on his wall. While my side of the wall is completely vacant, his is plastered with the face of his favorite president. I forgot how the question started but while he was doing so he asked me if I was a Democrat because of my ideas on social change in America. I told him that I was not a Democrat and nor will I ever will be. I also told him that I was skeptical of the constant Bush bashing that is almost constant in the media. It seems more meaningless posturing and band-wagon jumping than anything else.

In fact, I am tired of the constant debate that goes on between “members” of both political groups. There is no intelligent exchange of ideas that is being discussed, it is merely babbling in which no one listens to the other side and nothing seems to get done. In this empty dialogue, are we really that different from one another? We are not any closer to the America that both political parties claim to be aiming for. I feel that we should not wear our political ideology on or sleeves and constantly bash others for their beliefs. We should try to focus more on our . once we do that, we will soon find our that the people on the other side are really human beings and not just heartless beasts that are trying to destroy America. And hopefully we can progress and find ways to make the changes in our society that really need to be done.

Surely both sides have something in common, even if it starts by members of each side asking what the other person’s favorite flavor ice cream is (which will be a good start) and working from there.

No comments: