Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Gradual Dissent of Social Action, Responsibilty, and Public Discourse

My roommate is at it again, this time by stamping a large pro-life sign on our door for everyone to see. The sign has the picture of a baby with the phrase “Face it, abortion kills!” Not to my surprise, the responses from other people were more than negative. One person has gone has gone so far as to place the words ‘outlawing’ over the sign making it say ‘Face it, outlawing abortion kills!” and to add more shock value, this person placed a clothes hanger over the sign as well.

My friends advise me that I should counter my roommate’s poster with another that follows what I believe, assuming that I am against abortion (or am I?). I feel that it is pointless for me to expound whatever political belief that I have, there are enough people in the world who do it as it is. People wear t-shirts that say ‘Impeach Bush’, people go on cable news channels and scream at viewers to follow their way of thinking. And in this battle of media, nothing in a real sense seems to ever get done. There are still people in this country that still can’t pay for health care, let alone eat. Education continues to deteriorate as many children can’t even point out the United States on a world map.

Wearing your ideology on your sleeve does not make you a better person than the one you oppose, nor does it make the situation any better. It is this polarized version of politics and public discourse that continues to tear our already dull-minded country apart. To really make a difference is to commit to action for others, anything lease is a form of meaningless posturing.

No comments: