Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Readings From The Symposium

Socrates: Let’s sum up our conclusions then: Love is first the love of things, and then of things he now lacks. Isn’t that so?

Agathon: Yes.

Socrates: …can Love be anything except the love of beauty.

Agathon: No.

Socrates: Didn’t we agree that he lacks what he loves and doesn’t have it?

Agatho: Yes.

Socrates: So Love must lack beauty and not have it.

Agathon: That follows.

Socartes: Then do you still say that Love is beautiful.

Agathon: I’m afraid I didn’t know what I was talking about when I said it.

Socrates: Do you think that whatever is beautiful is also good?

Agathon: Yes, I do.

Socrates: Therefore if Love lacks beautiful things, and if beautiful things are good, then Love must also lack good things.

Agathon: Have it your way Socrates, I can’t contradict you.

No comments: